Does one or both of your parents have a disability? Are you looking to go to college? Has your parent’s condition made it challenging for you to have enough money for you to go to college? If any of these applies to you, you may be eligible for the Through the Looking Glass scholarship. The Through the looking glass scholarship is an easy scholarship for students who have at least one parent with a disability. This scholarship is offered by the Through the looking glass organization, together with the National center for Parents with disabilities and their Families.
The scholarships are for one thousand dollars each and are for the fall semester of each year. They are meant to help cover some of the costs for college for students that may have a little more of a challenging time paying for college and whose parents have disabilities. Both students who are already in college, and also those who are high school graduates, or graduating form high school are eligible. For high school seniors, the must be graduating within the end of the current school year. They must also be planning to attend a two or four year college, with plans to get either a Bachelor of science, Bachelor of arts or an Associates degree. For college students, they must currently be involved in the two or four year degree and be pursuing one of the degrees mentioned above. For any of these cases, the student must have at least one parent who has a disability.
In order to apply, one must follow a couple of steps. First of all, the potential applicant must go to their website and download an application. The next step is to fill in all parts of the application either on the computer or by printing it out and filling it out by hand. In order to qualify, the applicant must also send in each of the following:
- Transcripts from your high school or college (official)
- An essay that tells us about the impact that growing up with a parent’s with disabilities has has on you (about 3 pages. also send an email to them with the essay attched)
- The scholarship application that you have completed (may also send this through email)
- Consent for that has been signed by guardian or parent (if under 18) or by yourself (if over 18). This is very important!
- A letter of recommendation by someone other than a family member or relative.
All of these must be sent in one envelope to the address below: Scholarship Committee Through the Looking Glass 3075 Adeline Street, Suite 120 Berkeley, CA 94703 Also, make sure to include contact information (email, full name and phone number) in order for them to contact you to let you know if you win.
This is a great opportunity for people who may have parents with disabilities to have an opportunity for a scholarship offered by organizations that offer services and support for someone specifically like them. However, even with specialized scholarships, it can be difficult to stand out from the competition. Here are a few tips to make sure that you stand out and have the best chance of getting it.
- The first thing is to make sure that you have good grades and have done some extracurricular activities.
- Use your autobiography as an opportunity to show them why you deserve it. Show them how you have overcome the challenges you have faced and what you really are capable of.
- Have you been an inspiration to someone? Done something exceptional? Put that in your application. Make sure they know you are a creative innovative person willing to do the hard work in order to succeed.
- If they call or interview you, be gracious kind and well spoken.
Most of all, have a vision of where you want to go and why. They are more likely to support someone with a goal than someone who is just leaving it to chance. Other than these, there is not much more that you can do but to hope for the best. Good luck with everything and always remember to work hard, no matter who is looking.