The Humphrey Fellowship Program is a one-year non-degree program of combined academic and professional development opportunities. Humphrey Fellows are selected based on their potential for leadership in the government, public and private sectors, and non-governmental organizations from designated countries who have a commitment to public service in either the public or the private sector to develop their own country. Participants may complete academic course work at their host universities to update their academic and professional knowledge in their field, but they do not receive an academic degree as a result of their participation in the Program. . Application deadlines vary by country.
The program was established in 1978 by President Jimmy Carter to honor the late vice president Hubert H. Humphrey. This Program is administered by the Institute of International Education and the primary support for the program comes from the United States Department of State.
Scholarship provided by : The Humphrey Program is funded primarily by a Congressional appropriation to the United States Department of State.
Host Institution(s): They are assigned in clusters of 8-15 to the U.S. institution offering the most appropriate program in their area of interest.
Eligible groups: Citizens of eligible countries in Sub-Saharan Africa, Europe, Middle East and North Africa, East Asia and Pacific, South and Central Asia, and the Western Hemisphere.
More information participating countries.
Eligible for Scholarship:
- An undergraduate (first university or Bachelor’s) degree
- A minimum of five years of full-time, professional experience
- Limited or no prior experience in the United States
- Demonstrated leadership qualities
- A record of public service in the community
- English language ability
Please contact the U.S. Embassy, Public Affairs Section or Binational Fulbright Commission in your country of residence to learn about possible specific program requirements.
Field of study:
- Agricultural and Rural Development
• Economic Development
• Educational Administration, Planning and Policy
• Finance and Banking
• Higher Education Administration
• HIV/AIDS Policy and Prevention
• Human Resource Management
• Law and Human Rights
• Natural Resources, Environmental Policy, and Climate Change
• Public Health Policy and Management
• Public Policy Analysis and Public Administration
• Substance Abuse Education, Treatment and Prevention
• Teaching of English as a Foreign Language
• Technology Policy and Management
• Trafficking in Persons Policy and Prevention
• Urban and Regional Planning
Scholarship Award : The Fellowship provides for:
- Payment of tuition and fees at the assigned host university;
- Pre-academic English language training, if required;
- A maintenance (living) allowance, including a one-time settling-in allowance;
- Accident and sickness coverage;
- A book allowance;
- A one-time computer subsidy;
- Air travel (international travel to and from the U.S. for the program and domestic travel to required program events);
- A Professional Development allowance for professional activities, such as field trips, professional visits and conferences.
Number of Scholarships:
About 160-190 are awarded each year
Application Overview : The deadlines for applicants vary by country but falls around May to September each year. Please check with the Embassy or Fulbright Commission in your country to learn about the exact deadline for submitting applications. Embassies and Commissions must submit their nominations to the Institute of International Education office in Washington, DC by 1 October.
Please contact the Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy or Bi-national Fulbright Commission in your country for more information about application procedures.
Application Deadline : Application submit before Education office in Washington, DC by October 1.
Official Website/Links: https://www.humphreyfellowship.org/
For more information visit our website scholarships easy.
You may also like
Utrecht Excellence Scholarships For International Students In Netherlands
Rotary Foundation Global Scholarship Grants For Development
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS)
Clarendon Scholarships For International Students At Oxford University In UK
AAUW International Fellowships in USA for Women